- Abrahams, Roger D (ed.), Jump-rope rhymes, a dictionary, Publications of the American Folklore Society. Bibliographical and special series ; v. 20., University of Texas Press, Austin, 1969, 228 pp.
- Ainsworth, Catherine Harris, Jump rope verses around the United States, Reprinted from Western folklore, vol. 20, no. 3, 1986, Catherine Ainsworth, Buffalo, 1976, 24 pp.
- The Association for the Study of Play (ed.), Play Review, vol. 30, 2006.
- Cassowary Crossing: A Guide to Offbeat Australia, November 5, 2007, http://www.cassowarycrossing.com.au.
- Register of Australian Folklore Collections, http://members.iinet.net.au/~cknow/REGISTER.html#about.
- Baring -Gould, William S. and Ceil (eds), The annotated Mother Goose : nursery rhymes old and new, arranged and explained, Crane, Walter, Bramhall House, New York.
- Bascom, William R. (ed.), Frontiers of folklore, Selected symposium ; 5., Westview Press for the American Association for the Advancement of Science, Washington, D.C., Boulder, Colo., 1977.
- Blyth, Jonathan, The Law of the Playground: A peurile and disturbing dictionary of playground insults and games, Sarah Morgan and Phil Glanville, Ebury Press, Great Britain, 2004.
- Bolton, Henry Carrington, The counting-out rhymes of children; their antiquity, origin, and wide distribution, a study in folk-lore, First published in new York in 1888, The Singing Tree Press, Detroit, 1969.
- Brady, Margaret K and Eckhardt, Rosalind (eds), Black girls at play : folkloric perspectives on child development, Southwest Educational Development Laboratory (Austin, Tex.). Early Elementary Program, Early Elementary Program, Southwest Educational Development Laboratory, Austin,Texas, 1975.
- Bronner, Simon J. (ed.), American children's folklore, August House, Little Rock, 1988.
- Brunvand, Jan Harold, The study of American folklore; an introduction, W. W. Norton, New York, 1968.
- Brunvand, Jan Harold (ed.), Readings in American folklore, Norton, New York, 1979.
- Clark, Margaret, Ethnic play rhymes as a source of natural cross cultural learning materials for a multicultural curriculum, Margaret Clark, 1981.
- Cooke, Jane A., Children's rhymes, songs and singing games in Birdedge, West Yorkshire, Jane A Cooke, Leeds, England, 1980.
- Darian-Smith, Kate, 'Australian Children's Folklore: Playing with Intangible Heritage', Historic Envionment, vol. 22, no. 3, 2009, pp. 48-53.
- Darian-Smith, Kate, 'Do Children Play the way they used to? Part 1', in Museum Victoria: History and the Meaning of Things, May 12, 2010, 2010.
- Darian-Smith, Kate, 'Children', in Dictionary of Sydney, Dictionary of Sydney Trust, 2010, http://www.dictionaryofsydney.org/entry/children.
- Darian-Smith, Kate, 'Children', Sydney Journal, vol. 2, June, 2010, pp. 1-15.
- Darian-Smith, Kate and Henningham, Nikki, 'Conducting social research and children's privacy: the Childhood, Tradition and Change project, Paper presented at Watch this Space: Children, Young People and Privacy Conference, Office of the Victorian Privacy Commissioner, Melbourne, 21 May 2010.', in Australian Policy Online, Australian National Institute for Public Policy and the Institute for Social Research
., ANU and Swinburne University, 2010, http://www.apo.org.au/research/conducting-social-research-and-childrens-privacy-childhood-tradition-and-change-project.
- Darian-Smith, Kate and Henningham, Nikki, 'Longitudinal Research and Consent: The Childhood, Tradition and Change Project', in Australasian Ethics Network Conference 2010, Melbourne, 18 November 2010, 2010, http://www.research.unimelb.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/374699/NikkiHenningham_Longitudinal_Research_and_Consent.pdf.
- Darian-Smith, Kate and June Factor (eds), Child's Play: Dorothy Howard and the Folklore of Australian Children, Museum Victoria, Melbourne, 2005.
- Davey, Gwenda, 'Folklore and the enculturation of young immigrant children', MA Ed thesis, 1982.
- Davey, Gwenda, The functions of folklore, Extracts from M. Ed. Thesis (March 1983) "Folklore and the enculturation of young immigrant children in Melbourne", pages 48-54, 56-67, 243-247., The Author, Melbourne, 1983.
- Davey, Gwenda, Young children, old world : notes on some aspects of non-English children's literature and folklore, Contains extracts from Greek, Italian, Spanish, Serbian, Croation, and German children's literature and folklore. May be used with multicultural cassette series available in the Media Centre, Oliver, Don, Institute of Early Childhood Development, Kew, Vic, 1983.
- Davey, Gwenda, The Moe Folklife Project: A Final Project Report prepared for the Department of Communication and the Arts and the National Library of Australia, National Centre of Australian Studies, Monash University, Melbourne, 1996.
- Davey, Gwenda, 'Do Children Play The Way They Used To?', in National Library of Australia Magazine, December edn, National Library of Australia, 2010, http://www.nla.gov.au/pub/nlanews/2010/dec10/do-children-play-the-way-they-used-to.pdf.
- Davey, Gwenda, 'Obstacles to Children's Play', in Museum Victoria: History and the Meaning of Things, May 12, 2010, 2010.
- Davey, Gwenda and Factor, June (eds), Play and Folklore, Formerly the Australian Children's Folklore Newsletter. Published biannually since 1981, Museum Victoria, Melbourne.
- Davey, Gwenda and Factor, June, 'Cinderella and friends : folklore as discourse', Unpublished paper: "ANZAAS Congress, 1980, Section 25B Linguistics.", 1980.
- Davey, Gwenda Beed, 'Umbrella Feet: Children's Folklore and the National Library', National Library of Australia News, vol. XVI, no. 12, National Library of Australia, September 2006, http://www.nla.gov.au/pub/nlanews/2006/sep06/Story5.pdf.
- Davies, Bronwyn, Life in the classroom and playground : the accounts of primary school children, Social worlds of childhood series,
Davies, Paul, Jacob and Daniel (Ilustrators), Routledge & K. Paul, London: Boston, 1982.
- Dorson, Richard M, American folklore & the historian, University of Chicago press, Chicago, 1971.
- Dorson, Richard M. (ed.), Folklore and folklife, an introduction, Chicago University Press, Chicago, 1972.
- Dorson, Richard M. (ed.), Folklore in the modern world, Papers prepared for the 9th International Congress of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences, Chicago, 1973., International Congress of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences, The Hague: Mouton: Chicago, 1978.
- Dundes, Alan, Interpreting folklore, Indiana University Press, Bloomington, 1980.
- Dundes, Alan, Mother wit from the laughing barrel : readings in the interpretation of Afro-American folklore, From the series: Critical studies on Black life and culture ; v. 7., Garland, New York, 1981.
- Eckenstein, Lina, Comparative studies in nursery rhymes, Reprint of a 1906 publication London: Duckworth, Singing Tree Press, Detroit, 1968.
- Edwards, Ron (ed.), Proceedings of the Third National Folklore Conference: Held in the National Library, Canberra, November 26-27 1988, Australian Folk Trust, ACT, 1988.
- Factor, June, Captain Cook chased a chook : children's folklore in Australia, Penguin, Ringwood, 1988.
- Factor, June, Okey Dokey Karaoke!, Brolly Books, Melbourne, 2005.
- Factor, June, 'The Australian Children's Folklore Collection', in Central Highlands Historical Association, Ballarat, September 30, 2005.
- Factor, June, 'Let kids rule the playground', The Age, 29 October 2007.
- Factor, June, 'Children's Folklore & Writing for Children Workshop', in John O'Brien Festival, Narrandera, New South Wales, March 17-19, 2010, 2010.
- Factor, June, 'Children's folklore and the Australian Children's Folklore Collection', in RACV Club Seminar Series, 2010.
- Factor, June, 'Do Children Play the way they used to? Part 2', in Museum Victoria: History and the Meaning of Things, May 12, 2010, 2010.
- Faculty of Education, Deakin University, Children at Play: The Role of Recess in Children's Experience of School: a Reader., Deakin University, Geelong, 2005.
- Francelia Butler, Skipping around the world : the ritual nature of folk rhymes, Library Professional Publications, Hamden, Conn, 1979.
- Gill, Tim, No fear: Growing up in a risk-averse society, Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, London, 2007.
- Goldstein, Kenneth S. and Rosenberg, Neil V. (eds), Folklore studies in honour of Herbert Halpert : a festschrift, Buehler, Richard E., Paine, Sonia and Prosterman, Leslie, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John's, 1980.
- Gomme, Alice Bertha, The traditional games of England, Scotland, and Ireland, Reprint. Originally published: London : D. Nutt, 1894-1898., Thames and Hudson, London, 1984, 23 pp.
- Halliwell-Phillipps, J. O. (James Orchard) (ed.), The Nursery rhymes of England : collected chiefly from oral tradition, First published c. 1870, Fifth edn, Bodley Head, London.
- Healy, J.M., Failure to connect: How computers affect our children's minds - for better and worse., Simon and Schuster, New York, 1998.
- I saw Esau : the schoolchild's pocket book, Opie, Iona and Peter, First published as I saw Esau : traditional rhymes of youth. London : Williams and Norgate, 1947., Sendak, Maurice (illustrator), Walker Books, London, 1992.
- Jones, Bessie, Step it down : games, plays, songs, and stories from the Afro- American heritage, Reprint. Originally published: New York : Harper & Row, 1972, Hawes, Bess Lomax, University of Georgia Press, Athens, 1987.
- Kirchner, Glenn, Children's games from around the world, Wm. C. Brown, Dubuque, IA, 1991.
- Knapp, Mary, One potato, two potato ... : the secret education of American children, Norton, New York, 1976, 274 pp.
- Lanclos, Donna M, At play in Belfast : children's folklore and identities in Northern Ireland, Rutgers University Press, New Brunswick, N.J., 2003.
- Laubach, David C, Introduction to folklore, Boynton/Cook, Portsmouth/NH, 1989.
- Lindsay, Peter and Palmer, Denise, Playground Game Characteristics of Brisbane Primary School Children, Commonwealth Department of Education, Education Research and Development Committee (ERDC), Australian Government Publishing Service, Canberra, 1981.
- Lowenstein, Wendy, Shocking, shocking, shocking : the improper play rhymes of Australian children, Australian folklore occasional paper series ; no.5., Fish and Chip Press, Prahran, 1974.
- MacThomáis, Éamonn, Janey Mack, me shirt is black, O'Brien Press, Dublin, 1982.
- McDowell, John Holmes, Children's riddling, Indiana University Press, Bloomington, 1979.
- Newell, William Wells, Games and songs of American children, Collected and compared by William Wells Newell ; with a new introduction and index by Carl Withers., Withers, Carl, Dover Publications, New York, 1963, 289 pp.
- Opie, Iona, The People in the Playground, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1993.
- Opie, Iona and Peter (eds), The Oxford dictionary of nursery rhymes, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1951.
- Opie, Iona Archibald, Children's games in street and playground : chasing, catching, seeking, hunting, racing, duelling, exerting, daring, guessing, acting, pretending, Opie, Peter, Oxford University Press, London, 1969, 371 pp.
- Opie, Iona Archibald, Children's games in street and playground : chasing, catching, seeking, hunting, racing, duelling, exerting, daring, guessing, acting, pretending, Opie, Peter, Oxford University Press, Oxford; New York, 1984, 371 pp.
- Opie, Iona Archibald, The lore and language of schoolchildren, Opie, Peter, Oxford University Press, Oxford and New York, 1987.
- Paredes, Américo and Richard Bauman (eds), Toward new perspectives in folklore, Publications of the American Folklore Society, University of Texas Press, Austin, 1972, 181 pp.
- Ramshaw, John (ed.), Folklore in Australia: Proceedings of the First National Folklore Conference, Melbourne, November 1984, The Australian Folk Trust, Melbourne, 1985.
- Russell, Heather, 'Invisible Tracks: Play and Place in a Primary School Playground', MA Ed thesis, MEd, Institute of Education, University of Melbourne, 1994.
- Russell, Heather, 'Invisible Tracks: Play and Place in a Primary School Playground', MA Ed thesis, Department of Education, University of Melbourne, 1994, 185 pp.
- Rutherford, Frank, All the way to Pennywell: children's rhymes of the North, University of Durham Institute of Education, Durham, 145 pp.
- Salmon, Jo; Telford, Amanda and Crawford, David, The Children's Leisure Activities Study (CLASS): Summary Report, Centre for Physical Activity and Nutrition Network, Deakin University Centre for Physical Activity and Nutrition Network, Burwood, 2004, http://www.deakin.edu.au/hmnbs/cpan/class_report-final1.pdf.
- Scarlett, W. George, Sophie Naudeau, Dorothy Salonius-Pasternak and Iris Ponte, 'Chapter 6 - Electronic play: computer, console, and video games', in Children's Play, Sage Publications, housand Oaks, London and New Delhi., 2005.
- Schieffelin, Bambi B. and Ochs, Elinor (eds), Language socialization across cultures, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge: New York, 1986.
- Schwartz, Larry, 'Making History Mere Child's Play', The Age, Education Supplement, June 18, 2007.
- Schwartzman, Helen B., Transformations : the anthropology of children's play, Plenum Press, New York, 1978, 380 pp.
- Schwartzman, Helen B. (ed.), Play and culture : 1978 proceedings of the Association for the Anthropological Study of Play, Association for the Anthropological Study of Play, Leisure press, West Point, New York, 1980.
- Scott, Anne, The Laughing baby : remembering nursery rhymes and reasons, A collection of nursery rhymes and play rhymes with instructions for the accompanying finger plays or physical activities,
including clapping, bouncing, lifting, and tickling. Includes
music for those rhymes which are also songs., Schwarz, Lura (illustrator), Bergin & Garvey, South Hadley, Mass, 1987.
- Seal, Graham, hidden culture : folklore in Australian society, Oxford University Press, Melbourne, 1989.
- Sluckin, Andy, Growing up in the playground : the social development of children, Routledge and Kegan Paul, London; Boston, 1981, 131 pp.
- Smith, Peter K (ed.), Children's play : research developments and practical applications: Early child development and care, Previously published as vol. 19 nos. 1 and 2 of Early child development and care, Gordon and Breach Science Publishers, New York, 1986.
- Solomon, Jack and Olivia, Zickary Zan : childhood folklore, Brewton, Mark (illustrator), University of Alabama Press, Alabama, 1980.
- Spennemann, Dirk H.R and Richard Taffe, 'Managing children's interactions with cultural heritage places', Journal of Park and Recreation Administration, vol. 16, no. 2 (summer), 1998, pp. 73-87.
- Stanley, F., Richardson S. and M. Prior, Children of the Lucky Country?, Macmillan, Sydney, 2005.
- Sutton-Smith, Brian, The folkgames of children., University of Texas Press, Austin, 1972, 559 pp.
- Tallman, Richard S, Country folks : a handbook for student folklore collectors, Tallman, A. Laurna, Arkansas College Folklore Archive, Batesville, 1978.
- Thomson, Donald, Children of the Wilderness, Currey O'Neil Ross, South Yarra, Victoria, 1983.
- Turner, Ian, Factor, June , Lowenstein, Wendy (ed.), Cinderella dressed in yella, Second edn, Heinemann, Richmond, Victoria, 1978.
- UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre, Child Poverty in Perspective: An overview of child well-being in rich countries. A comprehensive assessment of the lives and well-being of children and adolescents in the economically advanced nations, United Nations Children Fund, Florence, 2007, http://www.unicef.org/media/files/ChildPovertyReport.pdf.
- Vinton, Iris, The folkways omnibus of children's games, Traces the history of and gives directions for playing games from all over the world and from all eras. Includes games of the ancient Romans, Vikings, Aztecs, and the Australian aborigines., D'Amato, Alex (illustrator), Stackpole Books, Harrisburg, PA, 1970.
- Wardroper, John (ed.), The Demaundes joyous : a facsimile of the first English riddle book, Reprint of the London, Wynkyn de Worde, 1511 ed., 35 pp.
- Widdowson, J. D. A., If you don't be good : verbal social control in Newfoundland, 1977.
- Zall, Paul M. (ed.), A nest of ninnies, and other English jestbooks of the seventeenth century, University of Nebraska Press, Lincoln, 1970.